Follow us on Facebook   YouTube Channel   Twitter
Southern Forest Heritage Museum Railroad Equipment

Railroad Equipment

The Museum currently has three pieces of operating railroad equipment. Only one of these is designed to carry passengers. The smaller motor cars are used primarily for carrying workers and equipment for track maintenance. In the mid 1950’s the FC&G stopped hauling passengers, and the cars no longer ran on their 40 mile journey from Fernwood to Columbia and back every day.  Used after that by the track maintenance gangs, the cars were retired in the 1970’s.  The M-4 was eventually sold to Louis Saillard, who donated it to the museum in the late 1990s.  First operated at the museum in 2009, the M-4 holds up to 24 people and is the primary railcar at the museum.

The “Doodlebug” Fernwood, Columbia and Gulf #M-4, built in 1937 by the Fernwood, MS shops of the FC&G to supplement a similar car purchase two years earlier from the Kalamazoo Car Co. of Kalamazoo Mi. First operated at the museum in 2009, the doodlebug can carry up to 24 people and is the primary railcar at the museum.

Motorcar RR&G #M-1 is a Fairmont S-2 motor car donated to the museum in the late 1990’s; the car has been restored by museum volunteers.

Motorcar RR&G #M-2 is a Fairmont A-4 motor car donated to the museum.  When the doodlebug is not available, the M-2 is available for rides for small tours and has a trailer that seats additional riders.

Southern Forest Heritage Museum Railroading
Southern Forest Heritage Museum Railroading
Southern Forest Heritage Museum Railroading
Southern Forest Heritage Museum Railroading
Southern Forest Heritage Museum Railroading